Have you ever had the experience where you were delayed for hours at an airport somewhere in the world?
Last week I checked in at Liverpool Airport to take the short 35 minute flight to Dublin. I had one and a half hours to spare so I bought myself a black coffee. As I looked at the board I couldn’t believe what I saw, my flight which was due out at 11:05am was now not departing until 3:35pm. At that moment all around me, the negativity started moaning and whingeing and I had to quickly reframe my thinking.
- What if I used this time to write my blogs in advance?
- What if I used this time to go over the final points of my Master Class for the next day?
- What if I reviewed my goals and vision for 2011?
By just changing my thinking to ‘what if’, my whole mindset changed and I achieved more in the following four and a half hours than I had in the last two days.
Top Tips on What to Do When Your Life is Delayed
- Ask yourself ‘what if’?
- Always go prepared to an airport, take a book, laptop, notebook, pens.
- Move away from negative Nellie’s and Ned’s.
- Breathe in relaxation, breathe out stress.
- Find a comfortable chair/table from where you can work, read or just relax.
- Use your time wisely.
- Clean up your to do list.
Pause and be grateful that at least you were not sitting on a plane on the runway for four and a half hours and know that sometimes in life delays can be positive.
You just don’t know who you might connect with along the way.